Thursday 18 February 2010

Earlier this week, still struggling with a chest infection, I went to see my GP for a prescription for some antibiotics and steroids. Within a day I was breathing much easier and it made me reflect on how lucky we are to live in this century with its wonderful health service, modern medicine and drugs. In my spare time I have been researching my family tree and discovered that my great-grandmother had died at the tender age of 35 from congestion of the lungs. leaving a young family of four children. We have a lot to be thankful for.
Yesterday I woke feeling much better, and as it was a lovely sunny morning, I thought I would take advantage of the day and do some further research for my next book. Armed with a notepad, hubby and camera, we set off with a list of venues. By lunchtime we had covered half the list and were in need of a rest and some refreshment. As we were outside one of Shoreham's oldest pubs in the High Street, The Crown and Anchor we decided to call in. The atmosphere was as welcoming as the sun outside, and just as friendly as the owner Giles, who gave me a tour of his pub. It is so rare to find a owned pub today, most are managed and serve up more of the same. The Crown and Anchor is split on many levels, which makes it unique and interesting. In by-gone days it was frequented by smugglers, hardly surprising when you learn of Shoreham's sea-faring past. Today the Crown and Anchor has a bright and cheerful ambiance The stylish restaurant is split on two levels, with an enormous wooden boat hanging from the ceiling, and a wonderful view of the River Adur. The riverside terrace would be a most enjoyable venue in the summer months. We sat near the window looking out on the still river, as we studied the menu with its plentiful choice to suit all tastes, but we decided to order off the set fish menu, which had an excellent selection of starters and main courses as well a 'specials' board. We finished our meal with a coffee and a mint, a nice touch, and although by now there were many diners it was not noisy, and we were able to sit and chat in comfort without having to raise our voices to be heard. I look forward to returning one evening to sample the food and entertainment, as well as enjoying a lunch or two with my friends and writing colleagues. Pubs like this are a rare find, and in this present economic climate Giles deserves to succeed and, according to my husband, well worth a visit as Giles keeps an excellent pint! Thank you Giles for an enjoyable visit. We shall return!

No comments:

Post a Comment