Friday 14 June 2013

CATCHING UP

It seems an age since I last blogged, but that doesn't mean to say I have been idle!  Worthy Words Workshops have continued to meet at Worthing library on the 2nd Wednesday of every month, and I still have room for a couple more if any writers are interested.  During our April meeting we talked about 'What Makes a Good Short Story, the difference between a commercial and a competition story, and what ingredients were needed.  We also discussed some writing competition entries and came to the unanimous decision that the winning entry is not necessarily the best story. 

In May we took 'Windows and Doors as our theme and talked about how we could incorporate them into our prose for best effect, and how to use windows and mirrors to reflect our character's thoughts.  Also on the 18th May I run a SWWJ day for Writers at Worthing Library.  I  divided the day up into non-fiction in the morning and fiction in the afternoon and included a workshop on the various aspects of love.  Everyone participated and went home always with at least two ideas to work on. 

June was another busy month for me  as I run a 'Write Your First Novel Course' at Denman College in Oxford between 7-9th June.  I had a super, super bunch of students who were  really keen to learn and all had the basis of a good novel to work on, and we are hoping to meet up again this time next year with our novels.  If anyone reading is interested I will be doing another novel course at Denman in November. The June meeting of Worthy Words Workshops was the final on short stories and we had a look at mainstream as well as small press markets as well as having a look at come of the guidelines.  Our next meeting is on 10th July, and anyone interested in joining us do contact me for more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment